Thursday, January 28, 2010

DAY 221

Rick was really interested in the blog last night and wanted to look at the pictures. He didn't recognize Dr. Carlile in the picture from Baylor, and he pointed to the title 220 days. I told him it has been 220 days since his accident and he said, "that's a long time". And I explained to him that it's really not a long time for a brain injury. The neuro doc told us in the beginning that for every 7 days the body heals, it's equivalent to 1 day of healing for the brain. So, if you look at it that way, it really hasn't been that long. I pulled up all the pics I've taken and he looked at all of them, but doesn't remember any of it.

This morning he got upset again before I got there, but got over it. He told me he just needed to go to the bathroom and couldn't get someone to take him...they just couldn't understand what he was saying. He ate breakfast and then did speech homework. He did not want to work on the arm bike today and told us that his left shoulder was hurting. I think it's really sore from all the working out, plus there is a little seperation at the joint. So, Randy did some e-stim on it and he actually asked for some Tylenol. During PT he was supposed to walk on the treadmill, but still seemed to be in a lot of pain, and couldn't really concentrate enough to walk. After that, he was wore out, and fell asleep. It didn't really matter because the weather was so bad that TLC let all the therapists go home at noon, and Rick got to take a 2 hour nap. This afternoon we watched "Open Range" and ate popcorn which he throroughly enjoyed. I left early to make sure I could make it to L&L's before the roads got bad, and I'm sure it will be late before I make it there in the morning.

"I've seen faith that moves a mountain, hope that doesn't ever end even when the sky is falling, I've seen miracles just happen, silent prayers get answered, broken hearts become brand new....that's what faith can do" ~Kutless

God Bless,


  1. Crystal, Hope the weather is not too bad in Lubbock. I made it almost to Dundee before someone called me to go back home. John is feeding, and Kelce is at school. Looking forward to a lazy day. Rick seems to be improving daily. Give him a big hug from us. Love ya, Aunt Sher
    PS I saw the kids at the bb game Tuesday and got a bunch of hugs! I had to really look at the Pips before I could find Tess because she has gotten so tall! She and Addison were so cute!

  2. Crystal,
    Hope you are doing ok in the ice/snow out there. Be careful, plan ahead, and don't take any un-necessary chances. Keep up the good work, ol' Rick is going to be back complete one of these days. God Bless and keep you all,
    Lord send your angels to surround Crystal and watch over her. In Jesus name, later, Rick

  3. I saw pictures of Lubbock tonight on the news. Please be careful there and give my boy a big hug and kisses. James is doing better with his new knee. Love you all