FAITH IS BEING SURE OF WHAT WE HOPE FOR AND CERTAIN OF WHAT WE DO NOT SEE. HEBREWS 11:1

Saturday, January 9, 2010

DAY 202

I'm posting a little earlier today than usual. Rick's watching football on the big screen tv. There's not much going on on the weekends. He will stand in the standing frame today and tomorrow, and then next weekend the therapists will have other assignments, but nothing that lasts for more than an hour. We got to talk to the kids on the video phone today. It was really funny. Rick could see the kids on the screen, and he would raise his hand up and wave at them. There was also a meeting today of the South Plains Brain Injury Association. They meet the 2nd Saturday of every month at TLC. Today they had a very interesting video about the brain and how it can be retrained. We only watched part of it, but it covered the training of the Navy Seals and how they have to retrain their brains not to panic in certain situations. I also met a lady whose husband was injured in 1991 and says her husband is still making progress after all these years...that is so encouraging. That brings me to a story I wanted to share about one of the patients at TLC. He was shot in the head 33 years ago when he was 20. Back then they knew nothing about brain injury. He recieved physical therapy for about a year, but after that he was pretty much on his own. He had to learn to live with a brain injury, plus live with the fact that the guy who shot him only recieved 10 years probation because "he didn't mean to shoot him in the head, he only meant to shoot his cowboy hat off his head". Can you imagine? Long story short, he met Dr. Wolcott who suggested a baclofen pump and more therapy. He had his pump put in in September and said that he could tell before he left the hospital that it was working. He had always walked really stiff, fell every day and had a lot of numbness in his left leg. After the pump he has feeling back, he's a lot looser, and doesn't hardly ever fall. The therapists are working with him, and 33 years later he is making progress...Praise The Lord! He has been a huge inspiration to me, and he often makes Rick smile...I like that even better!

Then your light will break forth like the dawn & your healing will quickly appear; then your rightousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Isaiah 58:8

Hope y'all have a great weekend.

Love,
Crystal

3 comments:

  1. Crystal,
    Thank the Lord, I don't know if I ever posted this, if I did please indulge me. My dad
    was born in '27 and remembered the last of the great depression and there were many things he couldn't let go of in the way he thought about things and did business, but he quoted this saying many, many times. I cried cause I had no shoes, 'til I saw a man who had no feet. I guess, other than being too nostalgic, what I'm getting at is regardless of what happens we can always find someone who has it worse than we do. God Bless all of you and the folks who are trying to help Rick, and God Bless America and all of those in authority,
    Later, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep getting better everyday. This is Sam Asta and am a trucker for Quality Carriers and had made deliveries to Bryan over at Vernon. I had been following the blog but lost my link. Bryan got me hooked back. I'm not much of a church person but you have had a prayer. Will keep you in my thoughts and hope you keep improving. I don't get to see Bryan anymore, they have made me into a regional driver now and I'll not be back that way soon. The best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal,

    I'm in Lubbock & we want to come visit. Please email me @ britanyschmidt@gmail.com or call me at (940)632-7321 and I'll figure out a time that is best for ya'll.

    ReplyDelete