FAITH IS BEING SURE OF WHAT WE HOPE FOR AND CERTAIN OF WHAT WE DO NOT SEE. HEBREWS 11:1

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN

When I went home on Friday, I asked Rick if he wanted me to bring one of his saddles back. Several of the therapists have expressed interest in using his saddle in therapy. He said, "yes, bring my Robert Mitchell." So, today we strapped it to a big blue bolster and then strapped the bolster to 2 rolley stools. When Rick got into the gym and saw it, he just started smiling. He was ready to swing a leg over. He had a little trouble getting his leg over the saddle because his inner thighs are so tight. But he finally did it, got his feet in the stirrups and wiggled around until he got all settled in...he looked great. Then we got the roping dummy out and he swung his rope and threw. I helped him get it around the horns, and once I did, he jerked his slack and hit his dally in one smooth motion. Every person in TLC was in the gym watching him...it was pretty great. Then, they rolled him down the hall and back...which was hilarious...I told him, "kick ole blue roaney into a lope!" When it was time to get off, Sarah (TR) said, "okay, Rick, it's time to dismount...isn't that what you call it?" And Rick shook his head "no". And she said, "well what do you call it?" And he said, "get off"! It was so funny! He had PT re-eval today, but I don't know how he did in it. OT and ST double teamed him and had him standing up and speaking phrases. Meredith found me after the session was over and told me he did great...speaking very loud and very clear.

The Thompson's were in Lubbock today. Tyler had another skin graft surgery and it went well. Trey had a doctors appointment, but I didn't get to see them...they had to head back to Munday because of a sick chick (Cheney). I went out to eat with Laura and Lyssa tonight at Blue Sky. They were having a benefit for Carter Cox, a boy that needs a service dog for diabetes. If you haven't tried Blue Sky, I highly recommend it and they will be having another benefit for Carter on May 17th. Carter has a website www.cartersdog.com Very interesting story and very neat how these service dogs are trained. Just another example of how good God is...these dog's are lifesavers.

Good night and God Bless.

Love,
Crystal

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud when I read Rick's response to what they call a dismount!!! You are amazing Rick and we are so proud of you and your determination. And you wonder whether people ask about you? You have no idea my baby boy. There are people praying for you that you will never meet. They ask about you on a regular basis. I love you and think of you every day (also the kids and Mama too) It is almost a year and I can't believe the progress you have made. God is amazing and so are you big boy. Can't wait to see you, won't be long now. Much love and God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal,
    I'll bet the leather in an old saddle never smelled so good. To Rick that would smell better than the most expensive perfume in the world. Like his aunt Cyndi, I too, chuckled about the dismount. I can just hear "git off." God Bless Y'all, later, Rick

    ReplyDelete